Anna Elizabeth Barclay Carter is a sister of Alexander Barclay and his heir. Anna was born on the 15 of April, 1870 in Eagle Creek. She is present in the Federal and state census of 1870, 1875, 1880, 1885. She is also the youngest child of John Barclay and his second wife Ellen.
She married David Maurice Carter on 9 July, 1885 in Scott Co., Minnesota.
Marriage Announcement for Anna & David.
Married – At Eagle Creek, July 9, 1885, by F.P. Pond Esq. Mr. David Carter to Miss Anna Barclay, youngest daughter of Mr. John Barclay of Eagle Creek. – Shakopee Courier July 15, 1885.
Carter, David, Anna Barclay, July 9, 1885, Book E, page 196 Scott Co. Marriages, Minnesota.
Marinette, Wisconsin and Menominee, Michigan
Anna and David Carter lived in an area of Wisconsin which is right on the border of Michigan so you might see to two towns intertwined in the records of people who lived in this area. These towns are on the shores of Lake Michigan and protected by Green Bay Harbor. I have seen Lake Michigan but only from its very southern tip. It is more like an ocean.
Be advised that I am not an expert on the Carter family which looks like it has very interesting history being of French Canadian origins. There are cousins who know more and what I present here is just a summary so if you want to obtain further information leave a comment and I can contact you to chat. I am also basing this information on what the census is revealing and cemetery information, more needs to be done.
In 1900 Anna and David Carter appear in the Marinette, Marinette Co., Wisconsin census. It looks like a brother is nearby?
Line 27, 826, 125, 149, David Carter, Marinette Ward 2, Marinette, Wisconsin, age 35, born about 1865, birthplace Canada French, Spouse is Annie E., White, immigrated 1870. Annie. E. Carter age 30, Marey L. Carter age 12, David W. Carter age 8, Joseph Carter age 4, Frederick A. Carter age 1.
Line 21, 828, 124, 148, Joseph Carter, Head, W, M, June 1864, age 35, married 4, Canada Fr. Immigrated 1868, 52, Na. Woodsman Canada French, born about 1865. Carter, Marey, wife, W, F, May 1872, 28, 4, 3, 3, born Switzerland, parents born Switzerland, immigrated 1882, 18, Carter, Henry, Son, W, M, born Jan 1897, 3, S. Carter, Earl, son, W, M, born Nov. 1898, 1, S.. Carter, George, son W, M, born April 1900 2/12, S. Fageuchau, Adeline, Servant, W, F, born June 1885, 14, S, born Michigan, parents Norway, Servant.
Source: 1900 U.S. Federal Census, Marinette, Marinette Co., Wisconsin, SD#8, ED#114, Sht #9, enumerated 6 June 1900, by Charles Bell.
In 1910 Annie and David Carter are living in Marinette, Marinette Co., Wisconsin. His job looks very interesting in the place he works at.
page 1, Line 98, 2050, 193, 202, Carter, David, Head, M, W, 50, M1, 25, born Wisconsin, parents born Canada French, All English, Engineer, Insane Asylum, W, No, O, Yes, yes, O, M, H, 12, 9, 7 X, Carter, Anna E. Wife, F, W, 40, M1, 25, 13 children born, 9 living, born Minnesota, father Scot, Scottish, mother Nor. Norwegian, none, yes, yes.
Carter, John J., son, M, W, 20, S,born in Wisconsin, father born Wisconsin, mother Minnesota, Knitter, Knitting Mills, W, yes, O, Yes, yes, No. 1 – 0 – 7 6.
Page 2 Sht 11A, all born Wisconsin
line 1, 193, 202, Carter, William D., son, M, W, 18, S, Gloves Factory, W, No., O, Yes, Yes, No. Carter, Joseph M., son, M, W, 14, S, yes, yes, yes. Carter, Frederick A., son, M, W, 11, S, yes, yes, yes. Carter, Leo B., son M, W, 9, S, yes, Carter, Rose, C, daughter, F, W, 8 S, yes. Carter, Grace L., daughter, F, W, 5, S, yes. Carter, Fransis A., son, M, W, 3, S, no.
Source: 1910 U.S. Federal Census, Marinette, Marinette, Wisconsin, SD#8, ED#81, Sht #10B, Sht 11A, 2 Southside, April 25, 1910, Joseph G. McCailiffe
We find them again in 1920 in Marinette.
Line 26, 2350, 269, 301, Carter, David, Head, O, F, M, W, 65, M, 1860 Na, Unknown, no, no, Canada, French, Canada, French, yes, engineer, factory, W.
Carter, Anna E, wife, F, W, 49, M, yes, yes, Minnesota, Scotland, English, Norway, Norwegian, yes, none.
Carter, Rose, daughter, F, W, 17, S, No, yes, yes, Wisconsin, all children French, yes, maid, private family, W. Carter, Grace L, daughter, F, W, 15, S, yes,yes, yes, Wisconsin, yes, none
Carter, David, Jr., son, M, W, 8, S, yes, Wisconsin, yes, none
Source: 1920 U.S. Federal Census for Marinette, Marinette Co., Wisconsin, 2nd Precint, SD#8, ED#190, Sht #14A, Ward 2, 9 and 10th January, 1920, Carl. E, Peterson.
They continue to live in Marinette in the 1930 census. They have a daughter and granddaughters living with them at this time.
Line 39, 2050, 442, 548, Carter, David, Head, $5000, R, yes, M, W, 75, M, 30, No, Yes, French Canada, Canada, French, 1860 Nat. yes, Truck farming, farming.
Carter, Anna E, wife, X, F, W, 60 M, 15, No, yes, Minnesota, father Scotland, mother Norway
Carter, Leo B., son, X, M,W, 29, S, No, yes, Wisconsin, yes, Farming, farming
Carter, David F. son, X, M, W, 19, S, No, Yes, Wisconsin, laborer, farming
Kapaun, Grace, daughter, X, F, W, 25, D, 20, No, yes, Wisconsin
Kapaun, Lucille, g daughter, X, F, W, 5, S, No., Wisconsin
Kapaun, Rita, g daughter, X F, W, 3, S, No, Wisconsin
Source: 1930 U.S. Federal Census, Marinette, Marinette Co., Wisconsin, Second Ward, ED#38-12, SD#6, Sht #20A, April 21, 1930 by Eleaear C. Hanson.
In 1940 Anna is a widow now but she has several children still living with her. She has moved southwest of Marinette.
Line 12, 159, 0, 300, yes, Carter, Anna E, Head, F, W, 69, Wd, No, I, born Minnesota, all same house.
Carter, Leo. B. son, M,W, 39, S, No, 6, Wisconsin, farm, farm, income 28
Carter, William D. son, M,W, 48, D, No, H1, Wisconsin, farm hand, income 50
Carter, David F. son, M,W, 29, S, No, 5, Wisconsin, truck driver, income 100
Source: 1940 U.S. Federal Census, Peshtigo, Marinette, Wisconsin, SD#8, ED#38-29, Sht, #9A, Enumerated June 7, 1940, by Ralph Stawdenmain.
Anna and David Carter had 13 children of which 9 were living in 1900. I only have 12 children. The following should be followed out in the census to get a better picture of their lives and of course, more research to get a better picture.
1. Marey L. Carter she was born December 1887 in Michigan and died about 1901 in Menominee, Michigan. She is buried in the Riverside Cemetery in Menominee. Marey appears in the 1900 census.
2. John J. Carter was born about 1890 in Michigan and died May 1975 in Peshtigo. He is also buried in the Riverside Cemetery in Menominee. He appears in the 1910 census.
3. David W. Carter born about 1892. He appears in the 1900 census.
4. William D. Carter, was born 16 February 1892 in Wisconsin. He died 3 November 1969 at Rice Lake, Barron, Wisconsin. He is buried in the Nora Cemetery in Rice Lake. He married Myrtle N. born 20 January 1892 and died 3 December, 1977 at Rice Lake. She is also buried in Nora Cemetery.
5. Elizabeth Susan Carter, born about 1894 in Marinette. I don’t have much on this child.
6. Joseph Maurice Carter born 25 March 1896 in Marinette, Wisconsin. He married Maude Marie Martin born 31 May, 1898, Thompson, Winnebago, Iowa. They had about eleven children: Maurice, Arthur, Aurora, Gertrude, Douglas, Mary Ann, Richard, Joseph, Norma, John and maybe another.
Joseph and Maude are buried in the Kristiansand Cemetery, Tioga, Williams Co., North Dakota. Joseph died 1 August, 1955 in Sidney, Richland Co., Montana. Maud died 10 June 1936 in White Earth, Montrail, North Dakota. Find A Grave has their tombstone with information. Maude’s parents were John Calvin Martin and Mary Ann Caroline Riedel.
7. Frederick A. Carter was born September 1898 in Wisconsin.
8. Leo Bernhard Carter was born 3 July 1900 in Marinette.
9. Rose C. Carter was born 1 February 1902 in Marinette. She died in 1910 and is buried in Riverside Cemetery in Menominee.
10. Grace L. Carter was born 30 April, 1904 in Marinette and died about 1989 in Peshtigo. She is buried in the Riverside Cemetery. She married a Frank Kapaun and they had several children.
11. Fransis A. Carter born 24 May 1906 in Marinette and died about 1911. He is buried in the Woodlawn Cemetery in Marinette.
12. David F. Carter born 8 March 1911 in Marinette and died 2 November, 1988 in Milwaukee. He is buried in the Wood National Cemetery in Milwaukee.
The father, David Maurice Carter died on the 28th February, 1938 in Marinette. He is buried in the Forest Home Cemetery in Marinette. Anna followed him 17 years later and died 4 August, 1955 in Menominee. She is buried in the Forest Home Cemetery in Marinette. Find A Grave has tombstones for them and some of their other children.
I have had the honor of meeting descendants of Anna’s in the past. They have been kind in sharing about their family history. I therefore have presented here my study of this family which needs more work of course. If you would like to share or learn more leave a comment.