Henry and Elizabeth had a big family and it is a bit complicated. This is not my family line. Any additional research that I have done on this family was to learn more about Daniel, the father, and to help my cousin Jerry in any way that I could. He is the authority on the Henry F. Spracklin and Elizabeth (Downey) Spracklin family, so bare with me.
The children of Henry and Elizabeth (Downey) Spracklin, here I have 11 children:
1. Harry Spracklin was born 1 June 1876, Sigourney, Keokuk Co., Iowa and died 8 August 1927 Davenport, Scott Co., Iowa, buried Fairmount Cemetery in Davenport, no stone. He married Frieda H. Ackerman born about 1877 in Davenport. She died about 1937 in probably Davenport. Her death is a guess on my part and needs to be further researched. Harry and Frieda had 10 children: Dorothy Elizabeth, Leroy, Herbert, George Wilbert, Richard, Bertha Sophia, Florence Margaret, Hanna, Harold Lester, and Alice Margaret.
Harry was also killed when a tree fell on him. As a result of his death, a guardianship was created using his Spanish-American War pension to cover expenses for most of his children. This guardianship spanned 20 years and 3 guardians. It is this guardianship that details the lives of his troubled kids. I will go into more detail in a future post, here is the source information.
Source: Harry Spracklin Probate Packet #1543779, 1928 – 2nd Series, #12989-13048, 1928-1938, District Court, Scott Co., Iowa, FHL#1493218, Probate Index 1834-1958 FHL#1479397 Item 1.
An obituary notice for Harry was located in the Davenport Democrat & Leader, July 1, 1927-8/31/1927, Monday Evening, August 22, 1927, State Historical Society, Iowa City, Iowa.
Spracklin: Harry LeRoy Spracklin, 51, passed away at his home, 731 1/2 West Second street, at 5:30 a.m. today following an illness of three weeks duration. The deceased was born Jan. 4, 1876, at Sigourney, Iowa. He moved to Davenport with his parents when a small boy and has since resided here. Mr. Spracklin was a Spanish-American war veteran, and served in Cuba. He is survived by his wife, Frieda Spracklin; three sons, Le Roy, George and Harold, four daughters, Mrs. Dorothy Sievert, Bertha, Florence and Alice, all of Davenport; two sisters and five brothers. The body was taken to the Stapleton funeral parlors, from where services will be held Wednesday morning at 8:15 o’clock, with services at 3:30 at St. Anthony’s church. Interment will be made in Fairmont cemetery.
2. Edward Oliver Spracklin born 22 April 1877 in Iowa and died before 1940 in Napa, Napa Co., California. Edward was drafted and appears in the WWI Selective Service System Draft Registration Cards 1917-1918, National Archives M1509, Roll #1544334
Registration Card: #693, A98, Edward Oliver Spracklin, Montaque, Siskiyou, California, age 41, Born April 22, 1877, Employer: Warehouse, Standard Oil Co., Monteque, Siskiyou, California. Contact Mrs. Elizabeth Spracklin, Davenport, Scott, Iowa. Registrar’s Report 4-3-20.C. Height medium, build medium, eyes brown, hair black. Signed Sept 12, 1918 by Chas. E. Wright. Local Board in Yreka, Siskiyou, California.
Edward also obtained a land patent BLM Serical #CAS0007137, #747943 Record Accession/Serial, Mt. Diablo, CA. Siskiyou for 160 acres.
He is listed in the Veterans Home of California in the 1930 Census for Napa Twp., Napa Co., California, ED28-22 SD5, Sheet 5A, 241, Ancestry.com.
3. Margaret Evalena Spracklin born 21 January 1881 in Davenport, died November 1965 in Florida. She married 26 August 1896 in Davenport to a David E. Parke and had 3 children: Ortha Raymond 16 Feb 1900 to 5 April, 1924 (Oakdale Memorial Park in Davenport) , Earl David b. Duluth, MN and Viola R. Parke.
Source: Located in the “P” section, #15458 Parke, Earl E infant, Parke David father, Maggie Spracklin mother, Book 5, pg. 20. Birth Registrations Iowa (Index), Scott Co., Iowa – Vols 1-5 1880-1897 FHL#1004408 and FHL#2070905.
Here is an obituary notice for Ortha:
Parke – Ortha Raymond Parke, passed away at his home in the Walsh Apartments at 6:40 o’clock this morning, after 18 weeks of illness. He was born in Davenport Feb. 16, 1900, and was educated in the Davenport schools, and has been employed as an usher at the Fort Armstrong theater. Surviving are the parents, Mr. and Mrs. David E. Parke, one brother, Earl David Parke of Duluth, Minn. and one sister, Miss Viola R. at home. The maternal grandmother, Mrs. J.S. Newton of Fairfield, Fla. also survives. Funeral services will be held Monday afternoon at 2 o’clock from Runge’s chapel, and interment will be made in Oakdale Cemetery. Source: The Davenport Democrat and Leader, Sept. 5, 1924. Davenport newspaper pg. 23, April 5, 1924.
4. Sophia Spracklin born 23 January 1881 and died probably 1881 in Davenport, Scott Co., Iowa.
Return of Birth: Child named Sophia, female in Davenport on Jan. 23, 1881 to Henry Spracklin born in Knox Co., Ohio. Elizabeth Downey born at Cambria Co., Pennsylvania, Mother’s residence 9 Street, father is a laborer, attendant Jane Gray, Dated Davenport 1881, Residence 951 East 14th St. Another researcher either found at the Iowa Genealogical Society or State Historical in Des Moines.
Another source: FHL#2070905 Births Scott Co., pg. 241 Skips 1906 to 1914 no Spracklins listed again #1682, 987 Sophia Spracklin Feb. 18, 1881.
5. Wilbur Spracklin born about 1885 in Muscatine Co., Iowa.
6. Flora Spracklin born about 1883 in Davenport, Scott Co., Iowa.
7. John Daniel Spracklin, born 7 August 1884.
8. Elizabeth Ann Spracklin born 24 July 1886 in Davenport, died July 1986 in Tulsa, Oklahoma. She married a Charles Richard Madison Burford 10 September 1903 in Sola, Camaguey, Cuba. Charles the father was born 3 January 1878 in Lewis Co., Missouri and died August 1967 in Coral Gables, Miami-Dade, Florida.
They had three children:
1. Lillian E. Burford born about 1916 in Iowa.
2. Betty A. Burford, born about 1915
3. Richard Demmit Burford II, born 22 June 1920 Des Moines, Polk Co., Iowa and died around 1983 at Fort Smith, Sebastian, Arkansas. Richard married Catherine Blanche Lemberg and had 3 children: 1) Richard Demmitt Burford III, 2) Charles Frederick Burford, and 3) Catherine Blanche Burford.
9. Elmer George Spracklin born 15 September, 1888, in Davenport, died 6 July 1963 in Persia, Harrison Co., Iowa. He is buried in the St. Mary’s Cemetery in Portsmouth, Shelby Co., Iowa. Elmer married Ellen (Nellie) Bendon on the 28th of March, 1914 in Davenport. Ellen was born about 1889 in Portsmouth, Shelby Co., Iowa and died around 1966 in Persia, Harrison Co., Iowa. She is also buried in St. Mary’s. Her parents were Simon Bendon (1843-1928) and Anastasia Agnes Wagner (1845-1928).
A Tribute published in the pages of The Council Bluffs newspaper, Council Bluffs, Iowa – July 6, 1963.
Elmer Spracklin - Funeral services were held on Monday at 10am for Elmer Spracklin, 74, at his home in Persia with Father Wilwerding officiating. He died suddenly of a heart attack at his home Saturday morning. He had been a farmer and a trucker in the Harrison and Shelby County areas most of his life. Mr. Spracklin was born in Davenport. He is survived by his widow, Nellie, four daughters, Mrs. Ruth Ditzler of Council Bluffs; Mrs. Irene Pitt of Persia; Mrs. Margaret Peterson of Mondamin and Mrs. Francis Elias of Ute. Three sons, John and Max of Council Bluffs, Don of Valley, Nebr., A brother Elroy Spracklin of Michigan, a sister Mrs. Bessie Burford in Florida; 18 grandchildren and five great-grandchildren. Pallbearers were Walter Kuster, John Greiner, Woodrow Wilson, William Wilson, Murie Fitzgerald, Russell Ickes. Burial was at St. Mary’s Cemetery in Portsmouth.
Elmer and Ellen had 8 children:
1. Ruth Spracklin born 13 April 1913 in Portsmouth, Shelby Co., Iowa and died Jul. 1981. She married a Louis Ditzler born 3 January 1906 in Portsmouth and died Aug 1968 in Council Bluffs, Potawattamie Co., Iowa. They had 3 children: Marjorie, Ruth and Rita.
2. Irene Spracklin born 19 March 1917 in Portsmouth and died February 1881. She married an Owen Pitt born 20 April 1912 in Persia, Harrison Co., Iowa.
3. John Edward Spracklin born 11 April 1919 in Portsmouth and died 25 Oct. 1991 in Omaha, Douglas Co. Nebraska. He was buried in the Memorial Park Cemetery in Council Bluffs, Iowa. John married Gilda L. George born 11 April 1923 in Muscatine, Muscatine, Iowa and died 11 December 1989 in Omaha, Douglas, Nebraska. She is buried in Council Bluffs. John and Gilda had 10 children of which there are living descendants.
4. Pauline Spracklin was born 25 October 1922 in Portsmouth and died June 1979 in Portsmouth and is buried in St. Mary’s Cemetery in Portsmouth, Shelby Co., Iowa.
5. Margaret Spracklin was born 8 May 1924 in Portsmouth. She married a Donald Fisher and also a Donald Peterson and had two children by Peterson.
6. Maxmillio Spracklin was born 26 April 1926 in Iowa and died 22 March 1998 in Council Bluffs, Iowa. Max had two children but I do not know his wife’s name.
7. Donald Spracklin born 28 Jan 1928 in Portsmouth, married Delores Chapman born 7 May 1932. They had one child.
8. Francis Spracklin was born 5 September 1930 in Portsmouth and died 26 April 2002 in Council Bluffs. She married Ronald Elias.
10. Raymond Otha Spracklin born 17 Sep. 1890 in Davenport, died 17 Jan 1935 in Harrison Co., Iowa. He is buried in the Lytle Cemetery in Harrison Co., Iowa. He married Minne Hansen 5 July 1932 and they had one daughter: Donna Rae.
Ray was a Veteran of World War I.
Obituary of Ray Spracklin - Residents of this vicinity were greatly shocked Thursday afternoon Jan. 17, to learn that Raymond Spracklin had been fatally injured by a tree falling on him. He and his two step-sons Charlie and Donald Newland, had gone to the timber of Jim Foley, two miles sought of Persia, and were cutting a tree. They had planned to fall the tree north and had placed the wedge in the south cut of the tree. Mr. Spracklin hit the wedge, but instead of the tree tipping over it jumped off the stump to the north, causing the tree to fall south. Ray tried to get out-of-the-way but the limb hit him, fractured his skull and broke both legs, bruised his body. The boys went for help at once. Mr. Foley, who was the first come sawed the limb so it could be removed from his body. Mrs. Foley also helped till W. E. Becker came with his ambulance and took him to the Mercy Hospital in Council Bluffs where he passed away at 7:30. Raymond Otha Spracklin was born Sept. 17, 1890 and died Jan. 17, 1935, at the Mercy Hospital in Council Bluffs at the age of 45 years and 4 months. He was married July 5, 1932 to Minne Hansen. To this union one daughter was born, Donna Rae. He leaves to mourn his departure, his wife and daughter and seven step-children; Blanche of Council Bluffs, Anabelle, Dorothy, Charles, Mable, Donald and Kathryn all at home. He also leaves his mother, two sisters and several brothers. He was a loving father. His children’s comfort was his first thought. Funeral sevices will be held Saturday afternoon at the Latter Day Saints Church in Persia at 1:30 conducted by Elder Wm. Chambers of that church. Ray was well-known in this community, having spent part of his life here and his many friends will be grieved to learn of his passing.
This obituary was found in The Republican Newspaper of Harlan, Iowa on Thurs Jan 31, 1935.
11. Elroy Franklin Spracklin born 23 January 1891 in Scott Co., Iowa and died 27 Oct. 1971 Thonotosassa, Hillsborough, Florida. He married Mary Dohoney 21 June 1913 in Davenport. She was born about 1895 in Chicago and died 4 February 1920. She is buried in St. Margueriite’s Cemetery in Davenport. They had four children.
I hope I have presented this family as correctly as possible. There is a lot more information to share. There was a lot of research done in vital records, census, city directories, newspapers and more. If you would like to know more about these families please contact me. Most of the information found was through the efforts of my cousin Jerry. He gave me his permission to present this information to you.