The current header photo of this blog was taken at the Lake Itasca State Park south of Brainerd in 2000. When I was in Minnesota we followed the Mississippi as much as we could as we traveled throughout the state of Minnesota in search of family history. This is of the headwaters of the Mississippi. The old header was me walking along the banks of the Mississippi at the Crow Wing State Park. The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources as a great website that gives information about these wonderful parks. This link is to the Lake Itasca page.
This blog is about my great grandparents Amarilla and George Angus Barclay. George is given the credit for being the founder of the city of Pine River, Minnesota. Pine River is located about the center of the state of Minnesota. It is north of Brainerd and before you get to Walker the county seat of Cass County.
This blog will cover their lives:
- George’s origins as best I can report at this time.
- His Civil War experiences including his brother Alexander and his father John.
- George’s life in Minnesota after the Civil War up to 1873.
- George’s Trading post in Pine River and his land purchases
- The Marriage of George and Amarilla
- Various events that happened in the life of George and Amarilla in Pine River
- Their son George Alexander Barclay and his death.
- Grace their daughter, her marriage to Ronald S. McDonald and a little on the children.
- George’s father John Barclay and his two families.
- George’s Murder – Coroner’s Inquest, trial and the aftermath.
- Amarilla’s birth in Iowa and migration to Minnesota.
- Amarilla’s family – The two marriages of her father Daniel D. Spracklin.
- Amarilla’s Mayflower and DAR connections.
- Amarilla’s other grandparents John Keller and Mary Delano
- Amarilla’s father Daniel D. Spracklin and mother Elizabeth Keller
- Daniel D. Spracklin and his second wife Sarah Blacketer Allgood and her first family
- The two families of Daniel D. Spracklin and the children of both.
Here is a list of surnames associated with my family. I will probably add to this list as I go along, but we will start with this surname list for now:
- Barclay, Barkley, Barckley
- Boardman, Bordman
- Spracklin, Spracklen
Locations covered will be: Massachusetts, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Iowa, Minnesota, Washington State. In Canada we have New Brunswick, Ontario, Quebec, Manitoba, and British Columbia.
Thanks for stopping by: Bonnie Jean MacDonald
If you would like to contact me you can cut and paste this email into your email: email@example.com